ASD In The Early Years, An Essential Guide for Teachers Working with Children Age 3 to 7 By Janet B. Webster, Ed.D. 178 pp. Published by Lake Laberge Books. $45.00. This useful handbook contains everything a teacher of young children needs to help them make sense of children with interesting characteristics who may be on the spectrum. The book has five parts:
- Part 1 Background information – on developmental differences especially social communication and interaction
- Part 2 Making sense of what you see – How to collect data on important aspects of behavior and learning and how to interpret the information
- Part 3 How to talk with parents – how to talk with parents so you ‘get them on board’
- Part 4 Taking action – how to manage problematic behaviours and to build skills in important areas especially social communication and interaction
- Part 5 – What specialists can offer – the role of specialists in working with children with ASD
In addition, the book contains 22 data collection forms that direct teacher attention to important aspects of a child’s behavour.